R. Pete Woodard
Junior High School

Frequently Asked Questions

Parents often ask us these questions. We hope our answers are helpful. If your question isn't listed here, please contact us. We'll be happy to help you.

How may I register my child at Woodard Junior High School?

You may download the registration form or fill out the paperwork in the school office when you come to register your son or daughter. Don't forget to bring your child's birth certificate, immunization record, social security number, and the address of the last school he/she attended.

Back to Top

Can every student ride the school bus?

The bus will transport any student who lives more than one mile from the school. Some other students with special needs have Individual Education Plans that require bus transportation. The district does not charge for bus service. Please call the school office at (928) 502-7200 to get specific information for your location and to arrange for your child to ride the bus.

If you live outside the regular school attendance zone, you will need to provide transportation for your child.

Back to Top

What do you do to ensure that students behave themselves?

We teach our students to behave appropriately through a progressive discipline plan. Every student receives a copy of the plan, which spells out the behaviors we expect and consequences for inappropriate actions. Students who exhibit unruly conduct, disregard for the rules, and defiance of authority, receive progressive discipline as laid out in the plan. The student handbook contains a copy of the discipline plan.

Back to Top

What do you do to keep students safe at school?

Maintaining a safe school environment is a priority. That's why we require all visitors to check in at the office. Students may not bring guests to visit the campus. We provide consistent supervision of students and deal with inappropriate behavior promptly, fairly, and consistently.

Our students also drill moving from one place to another on campus. This will prevent disorder in case of fires or other emergencies.

Back to Top

What should I do if my son or daughter must be absent?

Please call (928) 502-7200 by 9:30 a.m. If you know ahead of time that your son or daughter will miss classes, please notify the school prior to the absence. We require a notification from the parent giving the reason for the absence. We may require a doctor's note. We award perfect attendance to encourage students to prioritize school. You can find information in detail in the student handbook.

Back to Top

How can a student make up work missed due to absences?

Students may arrange make-up work with their teachers. For extended absences of three days or more, please call the school office. We will try to get the student's homework together for you to pick up the next day. This helps a student get back into the swing of things upon returning to school.

Back to Top

What are the school hours?

School hours are 8:40 a.m.–3:45 p.m., with the exception of Mondays, which are 8:40 a.m.–2:15 p.m.
Office hours are 8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.

Back to Top

What if a student is late to school?

If your child is going to be tardy, please call (928) 502-7200. The student must get a late pass from the office upon arrival. Developing a habit of promptness is an important work skill; we work with students to help them correct the habit of repeated tardiness.

Back to Top

What if a student needs to leave school early?

The parent must come into the school office and check the student out. Students may not leave campus without parental approval.

Back to Top

What meals does the cafeteria serve, and what is the cost?

Junior High Pricing Schools: Gila Vista, Woodard, Castle Dome, and RWMS

We know that breakfast is the most important part of the day. That is why at Yuma School District One, we offer breakfast at no cost.  We serve breakfast from 7:45 a.m. to 8:15 a.m. Please join us! If a parent or child would like to join a student and purchase breakfast, the cost is $2.00. We offer lunch to all students for $1.50 every day. If a parent or guest would like to join their student for lunch, the cost is $3.00.

You may fill out a free and reduced lunch application at any time during the school year if you think your child may qualify. If you would like to manage your meal account online or make an online payment, you may go to the district Child Nutrition page. Please see the cafeteria manager for more details. We look forward to serving you.

If a student brings a sack lunch from home, he/she may still purchase a juice or milk for 25 cents to go with the meal. Due to USDA guidelines, milk or juice is 25 cents, regardless if your student qualifies for free and reduced priced meals.

Back to Top

Is there a dress code?

We have a dress code that ensures that students dress neatly, appropriately, and without items that may be interpreted as gang-related. Clothing may not disrupt the learning process, nor may it promote the use of substances that are illegal for minors. Parents and students may read the dress code in detail in the student handbook, located in the Parent and Student Quick Links on our home page.

Back to Top

May students bring personal items to school?

Students must bring some personal items to school, such as coats, sweaters, and notebooks. Students should not bring personal items that are not necessary to school. The school informs students of specific items that they may not have at school in the student handbook. Teachers will announce when students may bring and use calculators in specific instances.

Back to Top

How often do you let me know how my child is doing in school?

At a minimum, we give you formal reports on your child's educational progress eight times during the school year. You will receive progress reports at the midpoint of each grading period. We send report cards home at the end of the quarters. The school calendar lists the date that each quarter ends for your convenience. Please call the school office at (928) 502-7200 whenever you wish to schedule a conference about your student's grades.
Back to Top